The band of the 1st Birkirkara Scout Group dates back to 1957, although since the founding of the group in 1916 there were always a couple of bugles. It was set up under the direction of the Group Scout Leader and Drum Mayor Mr. Anthony Vella. The band's first debut was on for a parade held in Birkirkara on 8th September, 1957. The band consisted of drums, bugle, a bass drum and a pair of cymbals.
In the following years the band held several other parades both in Birkirkara and in other localities. A yearly appointment the group always participated in was the St. George's Day held in Valletta in the last weeks of April. The buglers were also kept busy in the numerous Religious Processions held all over the Island.
In 1962 the Bag Pipes were introduced. Some Scottish servicemen instructed the Birkirkara Scouts to play this instrument. This brought some changes to the band uniform as in 1972 the pipers began to wear Scottish Kilts and white leg gaters. The rest of the band wore the more traditional black pants as opposed to the old brown shorts and socks.
In 1981, the Birkirkara Scout Group lost its Head Quarters and with no place to meet it became dormant until 1985. In the following couple of years, the group bought a new premises in Qrejzu Street with a lot from help from the locals and Mgr. Vella. Subsequently the band was formed once again. The old drums were traded with 6 more modern snare drums and a bass drum. 12 new bugles were also bought from the former Czechoslovakia. Cymbals and 3 bell lyres were bought but unfortunately the bag pipes were never formed again.
On the 8th of December 1987, the new band was officially blessed during a Thanksgiving mass in Tal-Herba Sanctuary, Bikirkara. This time the band uniform consisted of white gloves, hand and leg gaters over the normal khaki and brown scout uniform. On the right shoulder a blue and white aiguilette was introduced. The colours were chosen to match with the Group's scarf colours.
In May 1996 the brown trousers were changed to black with a white leather belt to match the gaters. Also a band badge was given out to the band members.
In Spring of 2009 the drums were fully refurbished and coloured in a lighter blue with a laser cut National badge sticker. This gives the instruments a modern look.
Today the band consists of about 12 members who are always training new recruits and introducing new marches. This will ensure that our long tradition as a scout band will be passed on to the future generation.